Sunday, March 2, 2014

Mural Project Post 18

My favorite thing about 20 Time this year has been the idea the project is based off of. The whole idea behind the project is that giving students 20% of class time to work on a project of their choice will help bring back their love of learning. I also liked that because of this project, I have had enough time to explore my love of art more in depth and have been given the opportunity to make my mark on the world. Lastly, I liked how when we were deciding on a project idea, we were told to "reach for the stars" and that "failure is an option". All too often, I think students are taught that being realistic is more valuable that being imaginative and failure is never an option. This mindset behind the project automatically set me up for the possibility of doing something big and amazing. However, if I am unable to reach my goal, there still is opportunity to learn a valuable lesson through the 20 Time project. 

My least favorite thing about 20 Time was the stress this project caused me at some points during the school year. Even though failure is an option for this project, I still beat myself up on weeks that I didn't get anything done. I am a huge procrastinator and that always leads to regrets on nights before a due date. For this reason, I don't think that my stress was caused by a flaw in the construction of the project, but rather caused by my procrastination and high expectations for myself. The one thing I would have done differently regarding the 20 Time Project goes hand in hand with my least favorite thing. If I could go back in time, I would not procrastinate! I wish I had found a location and planned more during the start of the project. If I had done this, I wouldn't have so much stress. 

This week I finally have some good news regarding a location for my mural! So far, I have found one building that the owners of which would allow me to paint on! As you can guess, I am really excited about this! The owners of the building are friends of my parents and the address is 20141 Kelly Rd., Detroit, MI 48225. Although this building is in Detroit, it isn't exactly in a spot where I had imagined my mural to be. I wanted my mural to be closer to downtown and on a busier street. However, I can't be too picky with my location as I have already had so much trouble finding one. For this reason, I have told the owners of the building that I am still looking for a location, but am very thankful that they would allow me to paint on their building. I asked them if it would be okay with them if I kept looking and came back to them if I couldn't find another place and they said that was completely acceptable. So as of now, I am still searching, but I am glad to know that if I can't find a perfect place, I still have a backup location.

1 comment:

  1. Debra,

    Maybe that building on Kelly can be your first piece and something you can show other people if you want to continue painting murals. I'm excited to see what happens next with your mural project.

    ReplyDelete